New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: **Advice** I need a rifle  (Read 2065 times)

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
**Advice** I need a rifle
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:35:03 AM »
 So my husband got me a rifle for Christmas one year. It was very thoughtful, but unfortunately not thought-out present (his words, my clever phrasing.)

It's a Mosin-Nagant M38.

And unfortunately every time we go shooting, I get a headache. We're not entirely sure why and sadly, they are bad enough that I really can't keep going.  @--0--0126

A few things I know after some testing we did...

-Gun blast coming back over the barrel bothers me. The abrupt pressure change or something. This occurs even when I'm simply standing near the shooter (next to, behind, diagonally, whatever...). The further away I go, the less it bugs me.
 -Noise isn't really a huge issue (unless it's something around 50cal, which this isn't.)
 -The recoil doesn't really hurt my shoulder to my knowledge. Although I'm not familiar with the dynamics of "recoil headaches" (maybe someone can clue me in there?) We do have a recoil pad on it.

The headache is migraine-like and usually puts me out for several hours (ie: take advil and take it easy.) Now, I'm prone to migraines in general, and my husband is worse, but he doesn't get this.  @--0--0117

Any words of wisdom on what this might be?  @--0--0131

And if it is recoil related, any ideas on a good hunting rifle that won't do this?  ???

I love archery, it is my preferred hunting method, but I'd like to be able to do rifle too.  -0078

We talked to one guy at our local sporting store. He had a friend of his dad's that used to get bad shooting headaches the next day. Guy died on the hunt one day after firing. The sporting store guy never found out why, but it scared the crap out of him. His impression was: If you get headaches shooting, stop shooting. Period. Can't say I blame him, but hoping I don't have to stop....  :-[

Offline wolfie1

• 4 Point
Re: **Advice** I need a rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:24:12 AM »
A simple and maybe obvious possible cure would be to try ear plugs.  This might sound silly, but it could be from the sudden pressure change from the blast of the rifle.  Try ear plugs on the range some time and see if it makes a difference.  there are products out there for noise suppresion while huting that still allow you to hear sounds at natural levels.  It's just a thought.
The Difference Between Democracy and Liberty:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.___Ben Franklin

The nine most dangerous words in the english language..."I'm from the gov't and I want to help"

Offline NJ Bowhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 06:03:54 AM »
 @--0--0123 @--0--0123 This condition is normally known as I have a headache syndrome and it usually associated with older married couples in the bedroom  @--0--0123 but I am sure that it can arise with the question. Honey, do you want to go out shooting ? Were as the reply would be. Not now honey, I have a headache.... @--0--0123 @--0--0123 @--0--0123

Oh, Come on folks.  That was funny....

I would try the ear plugs or Game Ears by Walkers or even email www.walkersgameear.com or www.Sportear.com and ask them the same question. After all they are the rearing people for hunting and it's challenges.

Oh yea, when I put my Game Ears on in the bedroom so I couldn't hear the answer to the question, I still got in trouble.    --099-780 @--0--0123 --099-780 @--0--0123.  OK, OK, the women might not relate to that but the men certainly can...

NJ %^$^
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:38:33 PM by NJ Bowhunter »
If you must be somewhere.  Be Out There in the woods.

Hunting more years than I care to count or admit too.

NJ Hunter Ed Instructor
NRA Life
NAHC Life
10 yr Cancer Survivor
Proud Father of 2006 Miss New Jersey

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:28:27 PM »
  @--0--0105 @ the previous posts.

I wear plugs and muffs already. I'm a trumpet player and regularly play with pepbands at football games (hubby too) so we're careful about our ears.  :) I will try contacting the folks you mentioned above and see if they have any insight. (in addition to checking back here to see if folks have any ideas.) Thanks!!!  ;D

As an aside: I would like to mention that as migraine suffers, the phrase "I have a headache" is more apt to get either of us into the bedroom. Since we have discovered that migraines, primarily being the product of constriction of your veins (to the point where the blood running through them causes great pressure and pain), are quickly and pleasantly relieved by the re-direction of the blood supply to other areas.  @--0--0121
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:35:53 PM by cuzsis »

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
A simple and maybe obvious possible cure would be to try ear plugs.  This might sound silly, but it could be from the sudden pressure change from the blast of the rifle.  Try ear plugs on the range some time and see if it makes a difference.  there are products out there for noise suppresion while huting that still allow you to hear sounds at natural levels.  It's just a thought.

I've heard of those! I definitely want to get some, but I was going to wait until we sussed this particular problem out. Since I already to plugs and muffs, I don't think it's a noise problem. But since I don't know what's causing it, I really can't say anything for certain.  @--0--0117

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:33:00 PM by cuzsis »

Offline western KY hunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 06:33:39 PM »
a 243 in a youth model might be a good gun for you no kick and enough knock down to take whitetail deer.  or maybe a 30-06
MIKE'S MAGIC  PRO STAFF
OWNER and HEAD GUIDE FOR RIVER OAK OUTFITTER'S
HUNTED FOR 33 YEARS
FOUNDER OF WKHTM

Offline rhawkins

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
I got my wife a 243 and she also shoots my 270.  Also you might try a set of the ear covers that enhance sound and cut off the millisecond the decibel level spikes.  They can be pricey but what is your health worth.
Randy Hawkins
USAF, MSgt (ret)
Lifetime NRA Member
NWTF Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman

Deer Hunting and Land/Wildlife Management Rocks

Offline deerhtn

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:22:37 AM »
sounds silly but try Motrin Sinus about 30 minutes before you shoot...  it will help with muscles in the neck and make sure your sinus cavities are a little more open....  If you are preasure sensative you might be getting a migrain from the compression of your sinus cavities after each shot.  I would hazzard a guess that it is not a sound issue... you could try a rifle with a ported barrel... it will be louder but the over preasure is directed in different areas and might not cause as much discomfort.  Also, put a rasied comb on your rifle and raise your head a little farther away from the stock.

Offline horseshoer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 08:26:18 AM »
 I believe the advice above is right on. I personaly have had the same problem. Only mine was caused by a neck injury. But I can tell you that after using the Walker's Game Ear, it really help's. Since my injury my hearing has become really sensative. The Walker's seem to stop the sharp pain. Good luck. Don't let these guy's give you too much ribbing.
Hunt hard, teach a kid to hunt, enjoy life.

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:21 AM »
I give the same advice.  Get a good pair of electronic ear muffs.  They will allow you to hear normal conversation but, will "shut off" the second a gun fires.  I got a pair that are made for shooting, as, they're narrow at the bottom to allow you to put your cheek against the gun's stock without bumping into the ear muffs.  They work great.  The concussion pressure of the blast is probably the root of your headache problem.
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
I agree with these guys about muffs but I want to go different suggestion. See your local doctor. Find out if you may have ruptured eardrum, sinus infection that wont clear up or some sort of inner ear problem ie infection that can do this. I love scuba diving and we deal with pressure issues alot and i think a simple visit can rule out a lot of things, give you piece of mind and it laso may discover your problem can be solved with simple antibiotics, @--0--0101
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 11:26:57 AM »
See your Doctor and try shooting a small caliber rifle to see if you get the same reaction-- Try a .243 or .22 hornet or 22-250. But for sure see your Doctor.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 05:21:24 PM »
Wow, I have never heard of this malady before.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline pa deerslayer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 08:05:14 PM »
from your discription it sounds as though your threshold for sound,or the descibles from gun fire have a detremental affect on you,as you noted the futther away you are the less it bothers you.wearing hearing protection would be a good start.

Offline cobrican

• 12 Point
    • Sawyer Consulting LLC
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 08:21:24 PM »
get your husband to build you an electronic mount for your rifle and then put one of those cable trigger things on it.  Then you could shoot from a distance.  Better yet, mount a firearm on a remote control helicopter with a camera system.  Then you can hunt from bed or a hot tub or something.  Just a thought.
Sawyer Consulting LLC
Consultant for hunting Properties
Forestry & Wildlife Management
-Licensed Commercial Applicator
-Friend to TH Members
-Promotional Marketing for hunting companies
www.sawyerconsultingllc.com
Blue Collar Decoys; Gulf region sales rep

New Page 3

Google Ad