New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: MUZZY help  (Read 951 times)

Offline outdoorsaddiction

• Most Valuable Hunter Award 2010
  • 7 Point
    • Real Life Hunting Videos
MUZZY help
« on: August 28, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »
I recently aquired a CVA optima, i was wondering if anybody has this gun and what powder/projectile combo works the best
www.outdoorsaddiction.com   real life hunting videos!!

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
Re: MUZZY help
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:53:55 PM »
I have the CVA Optima Pro 45 cal. so it might be different than yours. I went against the grain because I did not like the power belts that they recommended and went with a sabot cased bullet I was comfortable with and got better groupings. Powder measurements will differ with guns and person. Let us know what caliber and I am positive with everyone on here they will get you a Great starting point and get you closer to getting what feels best for you.I know it might cost a little but shoot,shoot,shoot. I hope to hear how it is shooting and of your Season's success. 

Offline outdoorsaddiction

• Most Valuable Hunter Award 2010
  • 7 Point
    • Real Life Hunting Videos
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »
THE GUN IS A 50 CALIBER, NOT REALLY CONCERNED WITH COST I JUST WANT THE BEST COMBO FOR THE GUN.
www.outdoorsaddiction.com   real life hunting videos!!

Offline bn2hunt

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • First Turkey
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:04:45 AM »
I have the optima and shoot 90 gn of loose powder with 270 cva platinum powerbelt.  I have taken deer out to 140 yards with it and still gotten clean pass through.  Last years took out a rib on both sides so I'm getting plenty of power out of this combo.  I aimed 4" high at 140 and it hit right where I wanted it to.  I zeroed at 80 yards as most of my shots are in the 80-90 yard range.  I have also shot the standard powerbelts in it but didn't get the power that I was looking for, they weren't exiting the deer even at closer range, around 40 yards.  The powerbelts are by far the easiest slug that I have tried to load.  I tried hornady sabots but after 3-4 shots I'd have to clean it before I could get the slug to seat properly.  One thing I would recommend is purchasing a powerrod http://www.xssights.com/store/blackpowder.html to replace the ramrod that cva ships with it.  I did and I like this rod alot better, not near as hard on the hand.
Born to hunt....

Forced to work
About 30 years hunting experience

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
i use 150 gr. of triple seven pellets and a 223 or 245 grain power belt bullet.  the buck in my avatar was taken with the this load and a 223 grain power belt.  suggest buy some pellets or powder and practice on the range to see what your rifle likes best.  i like the power belts as don't get sabot fouling etc. with them and can reload quickly if i needed too.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline bn2hunt

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • First Turkey
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 10:17:54 AM »
If he only has the optima it is only rated for 100 grains of powder.  The optima pro can take up to 150 grains.
Born to hunt....

Forced to work

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »
Each rifle can be deferent so try several combinations , you can stay under 100grs and have very good take down power .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Spike
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »
I have one that was given to me a few years back...not an in-line fan so it's a loaner.
Sighted it in for the young man that uses it...it like 80grs. of 2f Goex with those Lightfield Alpha Gold 300's.
He's shot alot of deer with that combo.

Offline bn2hunt

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • First Turkey
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
Each rifle can be deferent so try several combinations , you can stay under 100grs and have very good take down power .
  I tried at least 4 different kinds of slugs and many different powder combo before settling on what I use.  I work with another guy that has an optima and his gun likes 100gn of 777 with a hornady slug.  The best part of finding the best load is you get to shoot allot till you find it.
Born to hunt....

Forced to work

New Page 3

Google Ad