New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Question  (Read 1740 times)

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Question
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »
This is for the guys that have started with entry level smoke poles and have progressed to the so-called top of the line muzzy shooters. What differences as far as accurracy and performance is there in entry level and top of the line models????? I know that cleaning is easier and maybe a better trigger and so on but I have a CVA Buckhorn and it is very accurate. I would have no problem taking a shot as far as 150 yds. and with proper set-up would stretch it another 25 yds. to 175. The Buckhorn is definitely not a breeze to clean but it isn't all that bad either. So let's here it guys. Thanks, Scott Woody
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline 4CORN

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • 2010 PRIZE WINNER
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:19:16 AM »
i got the tc encore pro hunter. its has great accuracy. but i like the ability to convert it to a centerfire, rimfire or shotgun by changing the barrel. also like the power rod and speed breach.
When they outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns.
32 years hunting
NRA member
Suffolk Archers member

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
i have a optima cva .50 caliber that i shoot about 20 times before season starts just to practice.  a lot depends on the shooter and load they are using versus accuracy and distance able to shoot accurately.  my load is 150 gr. of triple seven pellets with a 223 gr. powerbelt.  off a good rest or sticks no problem on a non-windy day out to 200 yards or more for deer.  gun is in my avatar resting on buck taken at 25 yards in thick cover on 12/14/06.  gun is in low range of cost but performs as well and outshoots more expensive models.  is it the gun or the shooter?  if i bought another it would probably be a model like mentioned above that you can convert to centerfire or shotgun.

biggest factor being a past army pistol shooter where everyone has the same gun and model, its the shooter not the gun that makes the difference.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:12:26 PM »
It's all up to the hunter , what he wants and how he plans to use the gun , I have 6 side locks and two T/C inlines a 45 cal Encore and a 50 cal Omega , the T/C will clover leaf a group at 100 yards . I will shoot 150 rounds through each of the inlines in a year .
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:13:58 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 07:27:35 PM »
Thanks for your input guys!!!!
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline old jarhead

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:39:08 PM »
Never shot a black powder .everyone is talking about one being harder to clean, than the other. In lighten me on this subject please
50 Yrs. Hunting  
Sgt. USMC 68-73 Explosives & Boobytrap Isrt. 
1 st Marine Div.
Proud father of a US Marine
Member  NRA
Member of Fayetteville Sportsmans Hunting club
Never to old to learn from young or old

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
I got a CVA eclipse hunter which I got on sale in atlanta Bass pro for $69.00 you have to take it apart to clean it but its accurate and does the job when I want to use my in-line....I have a couple of side locked customs that I use sometimes but the in-line is more safe and more reliable @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline DLR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • God is my solid rock in which I lean on.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 10:48:50 PM »
I have a triditions in-line Buckhunter and it shoots great. Didn't cost me an arm and a leg but I can hold a 5 shot group at 100 yards that a 50 cent piece will cover, and that is off sand bags. Muzzleloaders can be particular about componets I had to find a load that would perform in this gun. If I use sabot bullets it will not shoot to good but with the power belts its a dandy. Even worked with different powders as well. Take your best load and just change the brand of powder and shoot it, you will see a big difference.
Attended 2010 WKH Hog Hunt
Team Turbo Nock
YHEC Volunteer
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Maryland Safety Instructor
Attended Eastern Anniversary Party
Attended 2010 Campout
 Graduate of Ultimate Medical Academy 2012

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:04:48 AM »
I have a triditions in-line Buckhunter and it shoots great. Didn't cost me an arm and a leg but I can hold a 5 shot group at 100 yards that a 50 cent piece will cover, and that is off sand bags. Muzzleloaders can be particular about componets I had to find a load that would perform in this gun. If I use sabot bullets it will not shoot to good but with the power belts its a dandy. Even worked with different powders as well. Take your best load and just change the brand of powder and shoot it, you will see a big difference.

I have a Traditions inline, not a Buckhunter, and it doesn't shoot saboted bullets very consistently.  Some days it will, some days it won't.  I'm using a .50 cal sabot with .452 cal cast lead bullet, 255 grs.  Same bullet I shoot out of my Ruger Blackhawk.  I may have to pry open my wallet and try some power belts.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Steve S

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
    • cobbs legion hunting club
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
I got a CVA eclipse hunter which I got on sale in atlanta Bass pro for $69.00 you have to take it apart to clean it but its accurate and does the job when I want to use my in-line....I have a couple of side locked customs that I use sometimes but the in-line is more safe and more reliable @--0--0118
I started off with the CVA eclipse from the same sale and while it's a good shooting rifle, that thing has to be competely taken apart to clean. I moved up to a Traditions Pursuit XLT and glad I did, shoots about the same but a lot easier to reload and clean

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 04:50:30 PM »
I'll get a lot of flack for this, but modern firearms, in-line black powder included, shoot better than most of us can see.  Scopes therefore increase accuracy.  The only difference from ctg to blackpowder is that like ctg guns, some blackpowder guns like one load better than another.

It's mostly in the skill and training of the shooter.  Just like you can't fix stupid, the most accurate gun in the world can't make a Nimrod a sniper.  The difference is that a Nimrod can learn and be trained.

In the end, a cheap, nay inexpensive, gun with a well developed load and skillful shooter will out shoot the fanciest gun around with a mediocre shooter behind it.  Every time.

Now you can point out very inaccurate guns vs. extremely accurate guns, and you may have a point, but given similar arms, the gun that is most accurate is the one with the right man/woman behind it.

Just my opinion, from a lifetime of watching and shooting Win's 52D's.  A pretty gun is still a pretty gun though.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:00:36 PM by Jaeger »
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad