New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Poult Sightings  (Read 1262 times)

Offline kawappa

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Poult Sightings
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »
I am very concerned about this years hatch. Last year I saw several hens with poults,  I have not seen a hen with any poults this year.  What have you seen so far in yoiur area?
I'd rather be hunting
48 years of hunting experience

Offline ke7cjw

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Are you part of the New Breed Nation?
Re: Poult Sightings
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:21:28 PM »
Sounds like you may be having a bad year for Turkey production. I have not seen a lot in my hunting area, but there are not a lot of Turkey anyways so that is not too unusual.
ke7cjw
Life member of the NRA
Life member of the North American Fishing club

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
II have had 4 different hens coming in the back yard.  They started out with about 18-20 chicks and now one hen is gone (got hit by a car, not far from my house), and there are only 12 chicks remaining.  Some of the chicks are as big as chickens.  they must not all hatch at the same time, because there is a noticeable difference in size.  One of the 3 remaining hens has about a 3" beard.  When she first came in, she came in by herself and 2 or 3 chicks.

I was looking out the window this morning, and they came in the yard, about 8 am, hung around for a while then left.  They actually get pretty close to the house.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
We have them everywhere, I saw a hen with the little ones along the highway this afternoon.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »
We have quite a bunch of turkeys in NY but we did have a colod and wet spring and that aint good for the little ones, but, I thik we will have a good year @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline kawappa

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
I know wet weather affects poult survival but it has not been extremely wet here. I have six toms (that were jakes last year ) that show up almost daily. I hope they are the reason that I have not been seeing any hens with poults.
I'd rather be hunting

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 06:58:25 AM »
I know wet weather affects poult survival but it has not been extremely wet here. I have six toms (that were jakes last year ) that show up almost daily. I hope they are the reason that I have not been seeing any hens with poults.

I don't think that the toms would scare the hens away.  Besides the hens and chicks I have had in the back yard, I have also had 4 toms coming in.  Sometimes, they come separately, but sometimes, they are all together.  I have not seen any sign of conflict between the two groups.  I think the hens are more likely to strike out at a poult if they seem to get in the way (especially if they are not their own)
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 02:12:08 PM »
Kawappa, see earlier post of mine "wet spring turkeys".  things seem ok in the Northeast.
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 02:23:26 PM »
That is sad to hear. I can't complain I have seen more turkey around my area than I ever have. Including new hatching, maybe it will get better for you.  @--0--0101
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline Bill in Trenton

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »
Have you seen any increase in foxes or 'yotes? Coons will also destroy any nest they find. -Bill
Bill's my name , and killin' hogs iz my game!

Offline gobble1975

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
looking good down here
NWTF Sponsor, member of  delta waterfowl ,member of ducks unlimited ,member of weeks bay fishing club member of cca

Offline tiller

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • Hooks & Bullets Magazine
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »
Have you seen any increase in foxes or 'yotes? Coons will also destroy any nest they find. -Bill
Coons are definitely an egg eating problem.... I have to get rid of some of these critters this year. I'm just now getting some Turkeys to start laying on my farm and have an abundance of trail camera photos of coons. Time for a coon hunt....
Michigan's Hooks & Bullets Magazine, Co-owner / Publisher
First Flights Aviation Services, Aerial Photography
Cutting Edge Bindery LLC

Offline kawappa

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 03:52:47 PM »
I rarely see a yote around here anymore because they know what will happen to them. but I still see some coons every now and then. These critters are not the reason why I haven't seen any poults. I'm sure there are plenty of them around but for some reason they are not showing up in my food plots like they did last year. I see the same six toms everyday.
I'd rather be hunting

Offline western KY hunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »
i was talking to wv abpout this last nite ive seen more hens with poults this year than i can ever remember not just 2 or 3 poults with a hen more like 8 to 12 with a hen and most of the sightings in the last 2 weeks.lookin good for me in a couple years love those 2 year olds they are movie stars like to gobble and come running to a call. -0078 @--0--0109
MIKE'S MAGIC  PRO STAFF
OWNER and HEAD GUIDE FOR RIVER OAK OUTFITTER'S
HUNTED FOR 33 YEARS
FOUNDER OF WKHTM

New Page 3

Google Ad