New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Calling all Hornologists (Updated)  (Read 921 times)

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Calling all Hornologists (Updated)
« on: August 09, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »
Will this deer develop a normal rack or is this deer done something to him self or his rack. Is he not through growing yet and the rest will fill in? This deer looks very mature and has plenty of beam Im wondering what is up withthe rest.
The deer on the left in the first pic.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:40:37 AM by cowmanhunter »
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline bcotton

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
Re: Calling all Hornologists
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:14:17 PM »
I'm not a hornologist, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last last either!  But....Its is hard to say, but he may just turn into a wide 6 pt.  I "harvested" one similar about three years ago.  He was only a 5pt w/ very short points, but he had an 18 1/2 inch spread.  This buck may turn out similar to him.  My buck was also old as dirt, his teeth were worn almost to the gum line.  Hard for me to tell in the picture, but he could have some age on him as well. 
BC

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
Re: Calling all Hornologists (Updated)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »
Daylight same deer in color. WV you out there. Give me an opinion what is this deer gonna do, horn wise and what do you think age wise.
CMH

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »

i say it will always be that way with a oddity to it..

what does MR WV Say.
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:04:25 AM »
More pics
CMH

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:51:55 AM »
Well he looks to be a mature deer I would say 3 1/2 or so. But he is what he is for this year anyway. That buck is very questionable in my book if you have not got a lot of hunters around you and you think he would be pretty safe........well you may want to consider letting him walk till next year. You never no what another year might bring. I have seen them go from a jacked up rack to a nice trophy in a year or two.
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
Well it looks like he is spending a lot of his antler energy on width and main beam length. It looked like it was so worried about beam length it forgot the brow on the left side and give it extra energy to push the tine taller than the other tine. I know energy is not the best word to use but it fills the purpose. I really think he will just be a Big Wide 5 pt. Impressive 5 point. Keep the pictures cowman. Personally I don't like to try and gauge a deers age by summers pictures because it is a time were they are at their lowest body weight. But he does have a thick neck so I would guess older than a 2 1/2. Will the rack be the same next year. @--0--0117 That's what I like about these animals.You never know.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:03:55 PM by wvwhitetail »

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 02:06:23 PM »
Well it looks like he is spending a lot of his antler energy on width and main beam length. It looked like it was so worried about beam length it forgot the brow on the left side and give it extra energy to push the tine taller than the other tine. I know energy is not the best word to use but it fills the purpose. I really think he will just be a Big Wide 5 pt. Impressive 5 point. Keep the pictures cowman. Personally I don't like to try and gauge a deers age by summers pictures because it is a time were they are at their lowest body weight. But he does have a thick neck so I would guess older than a 2 1/2. Will the rack be the same next year. @--0--0117 That's what I like about these animals.You never know.

Well there you go from DR. Whitetail himself....If anyone will no Mike will.
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 02:17:28 PM »
Well then I will definately scratch him from my list and give him a pass, but if he walks in front of cowboyhunter(this will be his first year) all bets are off. @--0--0105
CMH

Offline pungohunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 05:05:52 AM »
I agree with Bogo.  He might just eventually get to be a really nice one.  If he doesn't, then at least he will be unique.
Pungohunter

New Page 3

Google Ad