New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: second beard  (Read 1083 times)

Offline glenpinpat

• 6 Point
second beard
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:08:23 AM »
one of the turkeys i shot this spring had two beards and I am curious how people have mounted the second beard and where?

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: second beard
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:52:24 PM »
FIrst, congratulations!  I don't know how common multiple beards really are.  A few years ago I shot a four bearded tom so I went ahead and had a full mount made. 

I have seen people keep the skin around the beards intact and preserve just that portion......it can make a neat display.

Offline jrwingbone

• Spike
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 07:01:37 PM »
YUP! I have taken six to date with two beards. My daughters first turkey EVER had 5 beards! My wife shot her first with two beards this season and we mounted it for her. When mounted the taxidermist will leave the beards intacked! Shooting a multi bearded turkey is like shooting a MONSTER deer with drops!Not real common but it dose happen often...

Offline glenpinpat

• 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:40:23 PM »
YUP! I have taken six to date with two beards. My daughters first turkey EVER had 5 beards! My wife shot her first with two beards this season and we mounted it for her. When mounted the taxidermist will leave the beards intacked! Shooting a multi bearded turkey is like shooting a MONSTER deer with drops!Not real common but it dose happen often...
is this a wall mount or a body mount. I was going to put the main beard in a shotgun shell and screw it into the plaque but it still leaves the second beard with no home

Offline sdwolfden

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 05:39:25 PM »
My brother in WI got a double bearded turkey a couple of years ago.  He thought he was seeing things --099-780
Ethical hunting isn't just about perfect shot placement.  It's also the knowledge that you are an ethical hunter and a true sportsman.  Enjoy the hunt and the experience, whether you shoot something or not.   Live every day as if it's your last.
There's a reason it's called hunting, not shopping

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 01:25:29 PM »
only one two bearded tom ever for me.  the second beard was as long but not as thick as the first.  i hear the turkey record is like 9 beards.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline illinoisdeerhunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 01:56:33 PM »
I mount most the beard using the brass of the shell I shot the bird with.  A hot glue gun, some 14ga copper wire, a sharp knife and a punch are needed. 
First, cut the plasticoff the shell.Then, punch out the primer.  Use a piece of uninsulated 14ga solid copper electrical wire and fashion it with a loop on noe end and both ends twisted on each other roughly 2 inches in total length.  I use a srew driver shaft to make the loop a uniform size.  Then, push the wire through the primer hole and with needle nose pliers, bend the wire ends so the wire cannont come out of the primer hole.  Lastly, hot glue the beard into the base of the shell.  It makes a great way to display.  I also write the year on the backside of the shell.

The outdoors...a family tradition!

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 01:59:37 PM »
very neat idea and way to honor and remember the grandeur of that tom.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline TopCat

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 02:16:37 PM »
Put both in the shotgun brass and Congrats.      @--0--0123
TopCatRetired Deputy SheriffRealtorLife Member NAHCentershot InstructorMember NWTF Committe MemberBowhunter*Christian*

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »
Congrats on the double beard and goood luck.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline foxriveroutlaw

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »
Congratulations on the double beard.
USA MSG Retired
NAHC & NAFC Life member
Washington State Bowhunters Life Member
Member Missouri Bowhunters & P & Y Club
Official Measurer for P & Y Club, MO. Show Me Big Bucks, & MO. Archery Big Bucks, Longhunter Society
Member-Vietnam Veterans Of America
Life Member-Retired Enlisted Association

New Page 3

Google Ad